maandag 31 december 2012

Almost New Year




Can you believe it's almost 2013? Just a few hours and then the fireworks will light up the deep ink evening sky...


Not that we've bought fireworks ourselves. We've never done that, as a child I always had some sparklers & enjoyed making circles in the air with them. But nothing else, you can see some on the telly & if you're lucky from your bedroom window. Much saver and warmer too I imagine.

For days we've heard bangs go off before it's allowed. Some have difficulty saving it for the night that's officially reserved for it. Charlotte and ChloĆ« did not enjoy those sounds. Even now they look a bit scared, I worry a bit about how they will react to more... We'll hope for the best.


I'm wearing my glittery "party" outfit today. It's a simple black top and trousers and a very sparkly jacket that I got as a gift. I saved it for a special occasion & New Year's eve is special I guess. Also have on dark purple nailpolish.

Mom and me will be watching the movie New Year's Eve. You might remember that I got the DVD for Christmas & I am looking forward to watching it with her. I also plan to make some Chai tea with foamed milk for us. I got the recipe from S. & really loved it. Making it yourself is so much better than getting ready teabags of Chai.



A few days ago when we did our shopping, we went to some other shops as they had big sale signs & I was curious what was on sale. Mom and Dad didn't really want to go but they humored me. I found a, how do you call it in English??, milk foamer...  You know a little machine that turns a bit of milk into foam for on top of coffee or tea. (See picture above.) S. had one of those in black and it was really neat. Now we have one too, in lilac. Tested it out once and it works.

I've been thinking a lot about all the things that happened in 2012. Some not so good and other things pretty great. Like getting C&C this year, seeing them when they were only 1 day old. I recently went through their baby pictures and gosh, they've lost all their fuzzy fur and have grown so much bigger.

Here's a cute picture of them as they are now, hugging each other. See, they both have their arms around the other. So adorable :)



I think that all the good things are connected with special people (or cats) & doing fun things with them.

Also starting this blog and having people visit it is nice. Thank you so much for reading my stuff and even commenting on it. Love to hear from "my readers" :D

Then there are all the great meals we've cooked, trips we had together, quilts or crafts I made, conversations we've had. Stuff to be thankful for, like my sister keeping her job & us all being (reasonably) healthy. Yeah, it's been a good year all in all.

I made a new recipe today, Oatmeal and Apple pikelets. I think that in Dutch we call those Drie-in-de-pan. Normally at New Year's we made Oliebollen & Appelflappen (oilballs and apple beignets). But those are all fried and I wanted to make something a bit healthier. I had bought an old vegetarian cookbook in a secondhand bookshop in Maastricht a while ago & this recipe was in it. Already had a bite of one and it's delicious. So we will be having some with the Chai tea later on.


They are really simple to make & here is the recipe if you too would like to try them.

Mix in a large bowl:
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 2/3 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Make a well and mix in:
- 1 beaten egg  &
- 1 1/4 cup of soy milk

Then add:
- 1 grated apple

Cover and leave for 10 minutes. Heat some butter in a pan and bake the small pancakes a few at a time. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar. 

Did you have great things happen this year? Are you looking forward to watching the bright fireworks?

Best wishes,
Jo's Daughter

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Deze reactie is verwijderd door de auteur.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Your outfit looks great! So festive. And those cookies. Nomnomnom! Happy 2013!



    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Thank you!! The oatmeal & apple pikelets tasted great too :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...