zondag 26 mei 2013

Handmade lantern, Hailstones & Vow



Weather-wise this week has not been too fine. The windows of Pale Rose Cottage showed grey skies, rain rain rain & we even had hailstones! It was so loud that Charlotte & ChloĆ« where rudely awakened from their afternoon nap. The girls looked annoyed and still sleepy around. "What on earth was that???" their little faces said to me. I told them it was just hailstones but they did not take my word for it and popped onto the windowsill to see for themselves...



I don't believe they understood or appreciated this phenomena & they both hid under the covers, poor dears.


It being so dreary outside I decided to do a little crafting to brighten up my day. When I visited the garden center not too long ago I noticed that they were selling lanterns made from a glass jar, some wire and a little wooden heart hanging on the side. It looked great and I wished to purchase one... until I noticed the price tag. I placed the lantern back in the display and made a mental note of it for later. They also had some gorgeous flowers, I held them up and Dad took a picture (see photo above) They matched my scarf :)


When I took the last pickle from the jar I decided to try my hand at recreating a lantern look-a-like. I thought long and hard about the construction of the lantern at the garden center & was pretty confident I could recreate something very similar. For next to nothing, as I already owned a spool of wire and the glass jar. Then I remembered that I had a very nice wooden heart attached to a piece of brown yarn with a fabric heart on it as well in my sewing box. Saying on one side: Home Sweet Home. That would work perfectly as the little ornament on the lantern. Since I had all the elements necessary to make the lantern I loved, I got to work.


Mom assisted me in attaching the first bits of wire. Bending it all with your bare hands is not too difficult. But keeping it in the right place, around a glass jar can be a little tricky. I made the plaited/checked? pattern mimicking a wire fence & enclosed the whole jar. Then I wove the sharp edges across the bottom and hoped it would all hold when I would place the candle inside. It seems safe enough, so...

Here's a picture of the finished piece, it looks a lot like the one in the garden center & I like it very much. Mine is a little more rustic, the wire isn't as straight but it has a lot of charm. I like the fact that I made it myself. Now I just need to light the candle and enjoy the warm glow on another rainy day.

 
I cleared the table and sat down to enjoy a cup of herbal tea with mom. We decided to watch a movie I rented from the library: The Vow. When it was release in the cinema I went to see it with my sister. We dressed up a bit & stood in line early to secure a good chair...
 
I have fond memories of our evening together & always said it was a great movie. Mom had not seen it & after I enthusiastically told her (again) about this story, she suggested we watch it sometime. I borrowed it from the library this week and popped it into the dvd player, we sat down to watch...
 
 
It was a lot slower than I remembered and not at all as entertaining. Lots of songs in between and few lines, I found it somewhat disappointing. Mom said it was probably not the movie itself that made me say back then: It was a great night. Good point! I was at the theater with my sister & we chatted and laughed together. You know it was just great being with her, as sisters. 
 
 
This time we did not wait for the end of the movie & I turned it off. I do feel a little bit sad that the fantastic memory is now embroidered on with the realization that the film was not a favorite of mine after all. But I think that feeling will pass quickly & I had a good time with my mom, so it wasn't that bad really.
 
Memories are made with special people most of all & there are a lot of things contributing to having a good time. Like a nice warm cup of tea or a cat jumping next to you on the sofa, blinking it's eyes at you and positively smiling. This all made me think of today as a pretty great day. Mom was painting her nails & I picked up the novel I was reading. Soon I was smiling too, just like ChloĆ« the cat, when the story took me away...
 
How's the weather at your place? Any better? Did you ever make lanterns from a glass jar? Seen the film The Vow? What did you think... Tell me everything!
 
Until next time,
Jo's Daughter

2 opmerkingen:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...