vrijdag 18 oktober 2013

Doctor I'm Smitten


"To brighten up our day we need a dash of Jane, wouldn't you say?" Those words I said to Mom this morning, when it was still chilly and I could tell the painkillers hadn't started to do their job. I always feel better after a dose of Jane. I get that dreamy nostalgic feeling of : oh how lovely it must have been back then. Though on second thought it is perhaps even lovelier to have proper heating & a television...

If we didn't have those two, we would be blue and shivering by now. We would be missing out on watching Doctors on the telly. We have never seen this show before. The TV-guide tells me it's been on forever. Is that a good sign, or not?! Not sure...

Don't think I would have considered it, had it not been for the fact that they made some Austen inspired episodes. Which we want to give a go today. I don't like bloody things & doctor series or soaps are not my cup of tea, normally.


We could do with a distraction though & I hope they will be entertaining. Without making me dizzy that is, I have recorded a few of the Austen episodes and in a moment we shall try one. I've made us a late lunch, a goats cheese sandwich & chicory salad. The salad is made of: chopped chicory, red bell pepper, an apple & a dressing. Which is made of lemon juice, olive oil & some honey. See picture below.

Mom is not a massive Jane fan, as I am. Yet occasionally she indulges me & we watch one of my favorite films. They never tire as it's not just the story that I love, but the underlying messages. The stunning costumes, pretty scenery and the dancing. Fingers crossed this nod to Austen will be good fun as well. First I quickly want to tell you something fun...


You can really tell that it's getting colder outside. We have the heating on and I'm still pinching the tip of my cold nose ;) So I made us a pot of strong tea and plan to indulge in a biscuit or three. I don't really love the cold but it does lend itself to coziness. Been wearing scarfs and cardigans again, knitted things are so much fun to wear!

From the library I brought home a few knitting books and got excited about mittens. Mom made me some tan mittens a while ago & I have been wearing them with great enjoyment. Seeing those mittens with a pointy tip on the hand, it made me dream of a new pair. They are made by knitting in the round using lots of needles. A craft I have yet to master, so mom offered to knit me a pair. "For your birthday" she said with a wink & though I knew she was still not feeling great, I could not resist the temptation and accepted.


Two minutes later I felt like taking it back, but mom would have non off it. I selected some sunflower yellow yarn from the suitcase standing in the corner of Pale Rose's attic. She immediately casted on the required stitches and began to knit. I tried to talk her out of it, but as my birthday is getting close it seemed no use. My Mom is forever of the opinion that a promise made, demands a promise kept. Honorable! but not always best for herself. The knitting progressed...

Over the week I tried the first mitten on a couple of times, to see if the pattern needed adjustments. Her needles ticked alongside the clock & the soft rain against the cold glass windows. In what seemed like the blink of an eye, the left mitten was complete. With the omission of the thumb that is. Besides that tiny detail I was enthralled, I was delighted, I was positively melting inside. What a cute thing it is!! So yes I'm smitten, with my brand new handmade sunflower yellow mitten(s) :D


Thank you so much Mom, your besides being my best friend a real sweetheart! Love you loads :D Now I'm off, it's Austen time here at the cottage. I hope that my thumb remains up and won't go down after seeing this show ;)

Are you a fan of Jane Austen? Seen this on TV? Like knitting? Yellow? Or mittens? Tell me everything...

All the best,
Jo's Daughter

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...