donderdag 12 december 2013

Poinsettias & a fun B-day

Today it's National Poinsettia day, did you know that?
 
 
So I took a pretty picture of ours. In between the red leaves there is our Poinsettia flowerchild. My mom made this for us a while ago & we have it on display every December. Poinsettias are special to us & this one is too! A gift from our good friends in Groningen. This is the first year I've heard of it being a day dedicated to these beautiful plants & online I saw that it's celebrated since '02 ...
 

My mom would always get a red poinsettia from her mother as a gift. When my grandmother gave her the plant she would say: if I'm still with you next year I'll get you another one :) It was a tradition and much loved by us all.

I missed all about it being a day just for Poinsettias for a lot of years, but now that I know I like the idea. Hope to remember this day next December, another day I wish to remember is my Mom's Birthday.

 
She added a year to her life at the beginning of this month. We all had such a good time together!! My sister came to visit us here at Pale Rose & we started with good wishes :) Next was the unwrapping of some presents. I had planned to make some of those quinoa bolls, I got the recipe from my friend S. & they tasted delicious. I didn't make them though, as mom's stomach was not ok and she couldn't eat much. Hopefully it will be better at Christmas and I can make it up to her :D


I ordered some books for Mom from her wish list. Until this day they have not arrived ... So those where "missing" at the dining table, no matter as there was much else to look at and enjoy. I poured many cups of tea & we chatted and chatted and chatted some more. Mom unwrapped some pretty nail polish, lipstick & scented soap. She also got a woolen scarf that is super long and soft. See picture above.

From our good friends J&H she also got a big box full of little gems. Lavender bags for in her closet. Basil seeds to grow her own herbs. An advent candle, pretty napkins, holiday shower gels & a lovely piece of soap.


Many lovely cards and stickers of flowerchildren and nissers. A small towel crafted into a handbag & more... To get an idea of it all you'll have to look at these two pictures. Our cabinet was too small for everything to fit on & it was scattered around the cottage. The cute card in the middle of the second picture, with the Forget-me-Nots on it was from my sister's boyfriend. The card that I made is not in these photos I notice, it was a white card full of paper tiny hearts.


Sadly my mom was still not feeling a hundred percent & I could tell that a day of fun was making her tired. So I suggested we all lounge on the sofa's and my sister & I made us some apples. I'm not sure what you call them, you peel and chop up an apple that you would use for applesauce. Sprinkle it with cinnamon and some raisins & then pop it in the microwave for a few minutes to get it soft and warm. You could add yoghurt of cream... We didn't and it tasted just as delicious if you ask me.


I didn't take loads of pictures of every moment. Yet many images have stayed with me over the last few days since Mom's special day. I hope her health improves quickly & that we shall have hundreds and hundreds of days like these.

At the end of the evening she said to me, I feel spoiled & I said: you deserve it mom! She really does :D

Have you celebrated a Birthday recently? Are you celebrating Poinsettia day? Like these plants? Prefer red or white or pink? Ever make this simple apple "compote"? Or had anytging else fun occur? Tell me all about it!

Until next time,
Jo's Daughter

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...